Thursday, January 13, 2011

Shipshewana Amish Country









This is a barn in Shipshewana, IN.
 Today I am enjoying memories of my Autumn trip to Shipshewana, IN with three generations, myself, my daughter, and my mother. I don't know what triggered these memories today, but I am so glad something brought them to mind.
It was the trip of a lifetime. We all had such a wonderful time of love and fellowship. There is such a sweet spirit over this community, it's so thick you can almost feel it in the air. We rode our bicycles most everywhere. Enjoyed scrumptious meals at the local restaurant, a picnic lunch from a little country store in Emma community, and an olive nut sandwich from an old fashioned candy store fountain!
It's amazes me how the simple things bring us pleasure. In this world of go, go, go~ Everything right now. I think that's why I love the Amish/Mennonite community. They seem to have many things figured out better than we do. It would be a hard life at times, and I know they have their problems just like we do, but still I think they know something we don't.

This is the view from my bicycle seat.











1 comment:

  1. I've never been to Shipshewana, but I too enjoy the Amish/Mennonite communities. My sister lives near one in Ohio and her kids go to a school that's predominately Mennonite. I also go on a spinning and weaving retreat every year near or in Lancaster, PA. A couple of years ago, we visited an Amish weaver while at the retreat...it was fascinating! We have an Amish market about 45 minutes from here, but the traffic is so bad, that I usually don't even try to go there.

    ReplyDelete